I recently saw an article about hosting a seed swap. I am not a gardener at all and don’t see myself ever hosting a seed swap but a downloadable seed packet template in the article caught my eye. I figured if I enlarged the template it would make a really cute invitation. And since I was in charge of the invitations for a friend’s upcoming baby shower, I decided to give it a shot.
The template from the magazine was the size of a seed packet, so I just enlarged it to the size I wanted on a copier. I attached my enlarged template in case you want to make these. They are super easy and a lot of fun. Seed Packet Invitation Template
After I cut out the template, I found some designed cardstock and traced it onto it and cut it out.
Then I just folded over the flaps to create the packet. Put glue (a glue stick is best) on the areas where the flaps overlap so the packet is sealed. Leave the top flap open.
For the invitation, I just typed the invite and copied it so there were four invitations per 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of cardstock. One invitation is about 1/4 of a page after you cut it out.
I used decorative scissors to cut the invitations out causing a curvy edge to each side. I had to trim the invitations a couple times until they slid in and out easily.
I chose to put a little cut out on the front of the packet that said, “A seedling is ready to sprout..” just to keep with the garden theme. You can put a little note on the front such as, “You’re invited” or “Please join us” or just use the packet as the envelope and stamp and address it like you would any envelope.
You might find, like I did, that these are addicting. You can reduce or enlarge the template to any size you want and get really creative. Enlarge it enough to hold a flat 8.5″ x 11″ piece of paper and you’ll have yourself a very memorable resume presentation!
If you like free, fun DIY ideas, click the Follow button now!
I saw these mirrors at a garage sale and I had to have them.
What I didn’t have to have, though, were the candle holders on them. They had to go, but I had no idea what to do because removing them would leave two holes in the front. I’ve been racking my brain for weeks on this one and then it came to me this morning. I actually think I heard angels singing.
First, I removed the candle holders with a screwdriver and that left the holes I was talking about. Then with just a tiny bit of vinegar and water (but mostly a ton of elbow grease) I cleaned and wiped the mirror and silver down.
Then I went rummaging through a box of my Grandma Weetie’s old costume jewelry that my dad had given me. I found two beautiful broaches that would be perfect.
I originally used wire cutters and wire to affix them through the holes and, needless to say, I don’t have that kind of time. That created a whole new project of attaching the wire to the broach and then getting it to fit through the holes correctly.
I happily scrapped that idea and grabbed my trusty old friend, the hot glue gun.
I was able to stick one of the finding parts on the back of the broach into one of the holes. Then I put hot glue through the back of the hole and that seemed to hold that side into place pretty well. Then I just needed a little glue on the back of the other side of the broach to hold it to the mirror and we were all set.
This turned into such a simple project and I love that it incorporates my grandma’s jewelry. It is a beautiful way to keep her memory alive.
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoy these posts and want to receive them right to your inbox, click on the Follow button.